Getting trip documents back to the office is not a new problem for John Grant Haulage. In business since 1952, they're one of the largest dry bulk cement haulers in Eastern Canada, with a fleet comprised of over 350 power units and 650 trailers.
But their old method for getting docs from drivers left a lot of room for improvement. They had been using in-cab scanners, but from an operations standpoint, they caused a lot of headaches.
The laundry list of issues included:
- Expensive hardware that’s hard to maintain in the work environment
- High maintenance costs: cables, holsters, spare parts, overhead etc.
- Poor image quality, forcing drivers to resend or physically drop off documents
- Manual data input required from drivers, wasting time and causing errors
These recurring issues eventually lead John Grant Haulage to search for a different solution.
That’s what lead them to Origin, a mobile capture app and back-office automation platform that integrates well with their TMS.
The benefits of moving to Origin include:
- No hardware required beyond a smartphone
- No maintenance costs
- Superior image quality
- TMS integration pre-populates fields, saving time, avoiding errors and automating indexing
The app is simple to use for drivers, doesn’t use a lot of data, and managing users is easy for office staff. In the future, John Grant Haulage plans to work with Microdea to further enhance the experience for drivers, automate more of the process, and find ways to expand usage over time.
Founded in 1995 and headquartered in Markham, Ontario, Microdea is a fast growing document management and automation software company serving hundreds of customers in the transportation and logistics industry, including truckload and LTL carriers, private fleets, brokers and 3PLs.